Response to Kyle Dempsey's Blog : Have you ever liked a remake of a song better then an original?
Many times I often like the original better and reject the new one because it's too different which is why I found this song to be a great exception to my usual preference. The song that I am referring to is Lollipop by Lil' Wayne. When I first heard his song I did like it but was not really interested in it. Then my sister showed me Framing Hanley's remake of the song and it was so much better!
Just for fun you can compare them:
Lil Wayne Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAynIX8WT8
Framing Hanley Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whjh-f3KJ3w
1. What makes remakes of songs more appealing to the audience?
2. Do artists take it is an insult or a compliment when another author alters their work?
In your case, the different styles of music could be a great influence. One may like hip hop more than rock, while another could be totally opposite. I believe that it's just preference and that every once and a while one might actually like the remake over the original.
ReplyDeleteA question you may want to consider is... do you think ones preference is based on influence of other people?
As for your second question, it all depends on if the original author was acknowledged. If an artist does not mention that he/she took part of a music from the original, then the original artist would definitely take it as an insult. If you think about it, some people may not know anything about the original artist, so if someone takes music from them, then perhaps there is no way of knowing anything about the original artist and surely the artist would get upset. On the other hand, if the artist is acknowledged, his/her name will be spread and could potentially get more noticed. Overall, he/she may obtain more followers and could potentially get big. If the artist gets big based off of this, it would allow him the leisure of more cash flow.