Sunday, December 12, 2010

Response to Kimberlee Hume's Do you ever think that people over think things way to much and assume a piece of art work to be much more intentional than it actually is?




Well Ms. Hume I would have to say yes to your question. I find myself asking this all the time with all art forms. My personal nemesis is poetry. I cannot stand when teachers hand me a piece of literature and say tell me the meaning be hind this. Why did they pick this word, what does this symbolize? I want to ask what if the author didn't have any specific meaning behind it. what if the answer to your questions is the artist simply liked the word.  In fact, just today my friend was showing me her art portfolio and we came across a piece that was just boxes on paper with paint scattered across them. I asked her, what does it represent, what does it mean? She looked at me and said there is no meaning behind it, there just is. 
i think people feel compelled to put meaning behind things that don't necessarily have a deeper meaning to make themselves feel comfortable. It is perhaps almost for the same reason us humans feel the need to compartmentalize. the fear of something being nothing is to great for u. Some say the fear of not knowing our purpose on earth led us to "invent" religion and Gods. Another example is the universe. Some people believe it just ends and we have not found a way to measure the great distance to that end so just say it is infinite. 


1. Are artist's more comfortable with the concept of "nothingness"?
2. Is it possible for a dance to represent  nothing or not be intetional?

1 comment: