Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Definition of Art

The sole purpose of our Art and Philosophy class is to define what art is. First off, I think we should notice that in the course title it says the word philosophy. Philosophy is a wonderful, interesting field of study but at the end of the day you mostly just end up with more questions then you started with. Perhaps it was with this ideology that Weitz claimed that art is indefinable. After all the philosophers we have discussed in this class, I agree most with him. I guess partly because I don't know where to start defining art and every time I think our class gets close, we find something wrong with the theory or definition. It's frustrating and frankly I want to throw my hands up in the air and be done with it. However, because Weitz said that art is indefinable I went and looked in Webster's dictionary. In the dictionary art is defined as:  the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects.


1. Why don't we just use the dictionary definition to define art?


2. Why does the defining of art matter so much to philosophers?

No comments:

Post a Comment