Friday, September 17, 2010
Response to Kimberlee Humes's Art Apreciation
I personally don't know why people would spend millions of dollars on a painting that looks like a kid could paint it either. However, I often find myself asking the question how could something seeming so simple that a little kid could "imitate it" be worth so much? As well as, what made this piece of art worth the million dollar price tag? It turns out the price of a painting is usually so high because of the cost of materials, time spent working on the painting, and because an art gallery takes a good cut of the money the painting is sold for. Also, I believe that some paintings are priced so high because of that artists reputation. For example, if there were doodles drawn on a napkin from Monet, the price would automatically be millions of dollars because he has a reputation in the art world. I think these pieces of art can be compared to things people get signed by celebrities. A poster of a flower is still the same as another copy of the exact same poster but once it has a famous person's signature, the value skyrockets. Lastly, I think if the artist is living or not contributes to the price of their artwork as well. The price of a living artists work might be lower because they can still create other works.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment